RGS’ comprehensive, advanced Academy is aimed toward developing leadership competencies of local government managers. This Academy is designed for new or experienced managers in local government by trainers with extensive experience in all types of local agencies.
The Management Leadership Academy level focuses on the manager role as a strategic planner, goal-setter, and team manager. Managers translate Executive vision into outcomes and programs that drive local government services. The Academy frames these core concepts in the unique local government environment.
- Exclusive Access: Engage in live sessions, a special keynote address, and panel discussions specifically designed for local government managers.
- Personal Growth: Benefit from leadership assessments, coaching, and gain insights into your leadership skills.
- Hands-On Learning: Tackle real organizational issues, capstone projects, and gather practical tools.
- Networking: Connect and learn from leadership peers across various local agencies.
- Stay updated with the latest leadership theories and practices
- Master effective communication skills
- Handle conflict and challenging conversations with confidence
- Learn to create strategic plans tailored for specific departments
- Solve problems with rational processes and evidence-based knowledge
- Navigate organizational structures and lead through constant change
- Ace Board/Council reports and presentations
- Manage team dynamics of remote/hybrid and multigenerational teams
- Challenge the deep-rooted systemic challenges of local governments
- Completion of the Leadership Assessment.
- A laptop/computer that allows connection to Zoom, webcam, speaker, and microphone.
- Sharing webcam/audio in environment free from outside noise or disruption.
- Availability from 8:30 am -11:30 am PST on scheduled Academy days.
- Attendance and participation in all Academy elements.
- Blocking out time on calendar for sessions; free from other meetings, calls, work.
- Participation in “cameras on” interaction and discussion.
- Engaging with trainers and other participants in discussion.
- Participation in the Capstone Project and work with small groups outside Academy schedule.
- Completing homework, readings, and other materials.
- Committing to approximately 4 hours/month of time for Capstone project/homework.
- Scheduling and completing 6 one-on-one coaching sessions within Academy timeframe.
- Scheduling coaching sessions every month of the program.
- Reports directly to a Senior Level Manager (Division/Department Director, City Manager/General Manager/CEO, Assistant City Manager/Assistant General Manager, Deputy Director)
- Directly manages a team(s) at the Managerial Level OR directly manages a high-level program that works with other agency managers.
- Completion of Academy application form
- Payment of the Academy Tuition Fee ($3500)